In this corner, weighing in at no pounds and barely a few ounces and standing at a few inches tall, we have a tag team duo that may look small but produce big results...introducing...Pixie Baskets by Fabric Mutt. And in this corner, weighing in at 130 lbs (and that has to be true because it's what her driver's license says) and standing tall at 4' 11" we have a quilter that likes to run with scissors and stitch outside the lines, TishNWonderland.
At the beginning of April, I decided to link up with Julie at Pink Doxies and join her band of quilters all trying to be a #BraveQuilter. The goal of Julie's linky, is to pick something you haven't tried and challenge yourself to rise above your fears and meet that gaol head on. It's time to cross things off that bucket list.
For me that challenge was to make something 3D. Up to this point in the game, really the only things I have made are quilts of all different sizes. No bags, boxes, purses or even clothing. After seeing Jayne over at Twiggy and Opal's adorable verion of this small basket, I wanted to give it a try. So I printed out the instructions to study them thoroughly and went to work. Since my goal was to make items for an upcoming guild event, I went with strawberry colors.
I carefully cut the pieces according to the directions.
Started what would be some very simple sewing.
Commenced to basting.
And really in no time had the outer shell of my basket.
I have to say at this point, old Tisher was feeling pretty good about herself. The only thing left to do was construct the lining and put this baby together. Making the lining was super simple. Attaching the two, not so simple for me. I didn't get any pictures of the process because I was concentrating so hard.
For my first attempt, I didn't think it was that bad. Although, there were some small issues. The lining almost felt like it was too big for the inside of the basket and kind of poofed up over the top.
And as you can see on the far left, when I tried sewing the inside seam together I didn't get it all the way, so I had a small hole that I needed to finish closing. So not horrible, but not quite right either. After consulting with Sandra (mmmquilts.com) and Jayne (Twiggy and Opal) I took a deep breath, regrouped and tried again.
This time I chose some leftover squares from my Psychedelic Cat Lady Quilt.
And the construction process I chose was a bit different as well. Since I feared my poofy lining was due to a cutting error, I cut everything slightly larger than it needed to be.
Then I trimmed it down to the size the pattern called for, so that the batting and outside cover where 100% the same size.
Then because I feared all that bulk, I left out the pieces of muslin to back the lining. I also followed Jayne's advice and sewed about and 1/8" around the top after the lining was in place.
Sewing this seemed so awkward to me. The types of circles I normally sew in are nothing like this.
Stitching around the top really did help keep things from wanting to poof up. As for my adjustments to the pattern...you really do need that muslin to help add to the stiffness of the basket. Had I not skipped that step, I think I would have been happier with the results. Live and learn. Not sure what's going on with the inside closing seam. It's like this basket is stuck in a constant state of a funny smile.
All in all, after everything is said and done, I'm pretty happy with my first attempts. The dust has settled and my mind has cleared. I didn't end up making any for the guild's boutique, but I'm not quite done trying to make more of these little babies yet. The one on the left is currently be used for a thread catcher and it's just the perfect size. So for the month of April I can say with pride I was a #BraveQuilter.
You can join Julie and the gang right now over at Pink Doxies for a wrap up linky party to see how everyone fared in their goals last month and maybe be inspired to try something. And if you too would like to join all the #BraveQuilters hop back over to Pink Doxies on May 5th and link up with your own bucket list item for the month. Unfortunately for me, with all the craziness coming up with our guild's quilt show, I think I'm going to set May out as far as trying something new. Surviving the show its self seems like a logical goal and one that will be new to me, since this is my first year being active within the group. So set a goal and go join!
Also if you hadn't heard Lindsey over at LR Stitched as declared May 2016, May is for Makers. This is an amazing idea.
The idea is to support those designers, bloggers and teachers for all the amazing things they do for us to help us along our quilting journey. There is so much they make available to us for free and the amount of work that goes into all of their projects is incredible. I don't know how they do it. I myself have only written a few tutorials, so my mind is blown every time Lorna over at Sew Fresh Quilts releases one of her amazing patterns or Yvonne at Quilting JetGirl and Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs publish a new information series to help us grow. And lets not forget their patterns. So for each week in the month of May (that's 4 weeks) consider joining in and supporting one of the quilty/crafy individual that has made a difference in your world. I'm happy to say that one of my first May is for Makers purchases was a copy of Lara's at Buzzin Bumble's new book Crafted Applique.
Today I'm linking up with Let's Bee Social, Linky Tuesday, #BraveQuilter Wrap Up and Main Crush Monday.