For some reason, I was in fear this quilt was going to break me. It was my One Monthly Finish goal for March but I allowed myself to fall short of finishing by like an hour and a half of quilting. I was so mad at the quilt for its non-finish (like it was the quilts fault) I skipped the whole month of April working on it and put it in a (unfair) time out. May would be its month, when I declared it as my gaol yet again. So let's recap about this quilt for a second. Labyrinth is a UFO I pieced quite a few years ago and wanted to wait for a time when I felt I could do the quilting justice. I dearly loved the blue and brown batiks that went into this quilt.
One of the things I wanted to play with in the quilting of this quilt was feathers. Stitching those billowing plumes is a skill I have only recently felt comfortable tackling. Sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet.
When I went into motif planning I had hoped to stick them several places. I auditioned a little bit of everything in each of the sections.
I sorted through my Aurifil stash to find just the right shades for quilting each section.
I decided on Aurifil #1285 Medium Bark, #5011 Rope Beige, #2775 Steel Blue, #1126 Blue Gray, #2310 Light Beige, and #2000 Light Sand.
Quilting started off pretty quickly with dot-to-dot quilting in the center star and the addition of Kathleen's Magic Shape in the surrounding background area.
I wasn't exactly happy with the first attempt with the feathers at the top of the bracket, but it got easier and closer to what I had in mind the more I stitched them.
One of the biggest challenges quilting this quilt, was the fact that Caroline loved it so much.
It was shortly after this picture, I found myself missing my end of March goal date. I had just finished quilting the tan/beigh and brown borders and hit a wall.
All that was left was more feather plumes in the large blue border, but I was so disappointed that I hadn't completed it and was getting tired of fighting with it in the opening of my machine, I decided to set it aside for a while. I folded it and set it on the back of the couch with the intentions of coming back to it in a few days.
Okay, try a month later, way longer than I had expected. But I needed that small break. As soon as I picked it up and started quilting those borders, I started laughing at myself for giving up so easily. In no time at all they were complete. I guess I just needed a small amount of distance to work through my road block. As soon as those borders where finished I tossed it on the floor for a quick shot of the back.
Even though there were lots of points of doubt as it progressed, I think I achieved the look I was wanting all along. Labyrinth was almost finished.
After attaching the binding I decided to give it a quick bath to remove some of the blue marks from my water soluble pens. I ran cool water in the bathtub submerged her and left for about 10 minutes. As soon as I saw the water I knew I needed to act fast. She immediately when into the washing machine with about 6 color catchers. Thank goodness I keep them on hand.
After a good soak and spin she was good to go.
I cannot express how good it feels to have this finish behind me. One UFO gone from quite a large pile of them. Now to decided on the next one to finish. I set a goal of finishing four this year, but I am quite hopeful I can cross more off than that.