It's time for another reveal on the 2016 Mini Round Robin going on between myself, Julie at Pink Doxies, Cindy at Stitchin At Home and Sandra at mmm!quilts. I have to admit I was
So at the beginning of the month I received Cindy's block with the addition of Sandra's round. I loved it! But I found myself scratching my head, you could very well call this block finished. I had no idea what to add to it or what colors to use. I needed inspiration to strike.
With Sandra's block, I already had a design in mind and just had to do a color pull. With this block, I flipped my process and decided to start with a fabric pull, then decide on a design. I really didn't have anything in my stash I was happy with, so on an outing to drop David's quilt off to be quilted, I made myself at home in the quilt store and played around in the fat quarters. The owner's husband even carried over a few boxes for me so I didn't have to get off the floor.
This was what I left the store with. I loved the greens, yellows and oranges originally in the block, but Sandra opened the door for me by adding just a hint of light lavender in her round. I really wanted my round to add an even more pop of the contrasting purple. Now I needed a design.
Since I wanted to play around with the geometric center I started playing around in EQ7 and fell in love with this geometric paper pieced block.
It was fun, it had lots of angles but I feared doing and entire round might be too busy.
Next I came up with this (obviously not these colors though). I think this would have worked as well, but just wasn't what I was looking for. I kept thinking about the first design and it hit me. BAM! Black rectangles.
I would simply do black rectangles in the center and my paper pieced blocks in the corner. So now my big question was, could I paper piece this block and make it look right. So I pulled some fabrics from my stash and experimented.
Success! Now I felt more comfortable piecing the 12 blocks and knew what sizes to cut my pieces.
Now to commit to colors. My first pull looked something like this.
After consulting with David and Sandra, they both felt my purples were a bit too red and I needed to go with a more blue purple. After 5 minutes of whining to poor Dave, he dissappeared to the back room and returned with two purples from my stash.
Not exactly sold on this, I decided to pull from the yellows I had purchased for the project.
Feeling that the yellow was a more "safe" choice, I decided to poll a few quilting friends to see what they thought. I just knew they would say the yellow was the better choice. But at the end of the voting the score was 2 for yellow (me and Beth at Cooking Up Quilts) and 3 for David's purples (David, Sandra and Lara at Buzzin Bumble). So after admitting David was right. (That was me whispering so he wouldn't hear), I went to work constructing my 12 blocks with a bit of seam ripping along the way. I realized as I was picking all those tiny pieces from the back of the blocks, removing the paper on a small project is much like de-shelling a hard boiled egg that has been cracked. Both are kind of stinky and tedious but well worth the end result.
I hope Cindy loves the addition as much as I do. I really love how the black fabrics play along with each other in the three rounds. This block will be headed in the mail tomorrow to Julie so she can work her magic and add the last round to the block. Now I'm off to check out what everyone else has added to their blocks. If you have a chance please hop over and check out what Julie added to Sandra's, Cindy added to mine, and Sandra added to Julie's.