When I reflect on 2016, I have to admit that the last quarter of the year was by far my most productive and I don't think that it is a coincidence. It was the first time (ever) that I actually set down and wrote out a list of things I wanted to accomplish within a specific time period. I knew that my list, more than likely, contained more projects than I could finish in three months, but it gave me a variety of things to work on, so I didn't feel too constricted. I will give an over all up date on that original list of 14 items closer to the end of the year, I hope you'll be impressed.
Julie at Pink Doxies and Beth at Cooking Up Quilts are pairing up to be accountability buddies for the upcoming year. I think this is a fabulous idea...and so does Sandra! So she and I will be teaming up to help each other stay on track when it comes to goals. I'm sure there will be lots of praise and a bit of, "hey, get on track, sister!" going on.
We started off with a FaceTime session last night to discuss where we would like things to go. I can't give you all of the future plans, but I can give you a rough draft of them.
1. Quarterly Goal Setting (most important)
I think this will be one of the keys to a successful 2017. I can tweak my long term goals every three months to reflect on my progress. Hopefully, Sandra and I can plan face to face chat sessions to regularly check in and motivate each other or trouble shoot.
This is also where the 2017 Quilters Planner will come in quite handy. Stephanie at Late Night Quilter has left nothing out of this baby. It is the ultimate quilt planning tool, and I can't wait to have it completely full at the end of the year.!!
2. Tackle UFO's
This year has to be about the UFO's for me. Period. I currently have 23ish unquilted quilt tops laying around the house. That just seems insane to me. I ended up with so many of them because I just couldn't decide how to quilt them. No more, I say!!! It is time to drag them out, one by one, and give them life. Are you in the same boat as me? Let's do it together. Maybe we can help get unstuck. I think I can feel an idea bubbling around in the back of my head somewhere.
3. Quilt Alongs
I LOVE quilt alongs and I cannot lie! This may be my weakness, sewing with others. It's just so much fun! I plan on participating in a few through out the year. I'm hoping these small monthly piecing projects will help scratch the itch to make a quilt all at once. Maybe, break up all that quilting. Here is the small list I would like to take part in.
Meadow Mystery at Meadow Mist Designs. This one is already underway and should wrap up in early spring. So far I have been able to keep up to speed and do not see myself slowing down anytime soon.
Pat Sloan's 2017 Children's Library Mystery Quilt To date I have participated in all of Pat's mystery quilts (Globetrotting, Vacation Time, and My Secret Garden) and have loved each one. This years quilt is scrappy and the perfect excuse for me to start cleaning out some of my fabric bins. The first block will publish January 1st. If you click on the link above you can check out the supply list.
Blossom Heart Quilts The Milky Way QAL I'm kind of excited about this one. It will be a paper pieced quilt along with one block coming out each month. That is way more than just doable, it's completely achievable! This one kicks off January 1st.
Garhering 2017 Mystery Quilt at Cora's Quilts This one doesn't kick off till around the end of March or April, which is perfect for me because it would give me time to finish piecing last years Beguiling mystery quilt. This year she is offering three different sizes; toddler, throw and queen.
I'm sure these are not the only quilt alongs I will do this year. They are just the ones I can see on the horizon.
4. Along with a crazy amount of UFO's, I seem to have collected quite a few quilt kits...around 11. By this I mean actual kits I have purchased or patterns that I have bought fabric for and are waiting to be made. We shall call them the "Good Intentions Club." It sure would be nice to see some of these come to life and move on from my shelves...fly little birds, fly!
5. Be juried into a local group of artists at The Artistry on Main Studio. This is a studio for local artists to display and sale their works of art. To be considered I must submit three pieces and an application and be accepted into the fold. The gallery does not contain any quilted pieces as of now. So the goal here...create three pieces and submit them. Pretty straight forward.
6. Release a quilt pattern. I'm so close to completing this one, it just isn't funny. The pattern has been written, I just need to test it and have it proof read. I may be putting out a call for pattern testers soon, just saying.
7. Collaborate with quilty friends. This one makes me super happy. Sandra and I have been bouncing ideas off each other about different projects we could collaborate on. I can't share too much on this one yet, but we are working on a few things. Hopefully, other opportunities present themselves through out the year. I'm always up for a quilty good time. I'm pretty sure my name and number are written on a few quilt shop bathrooms (just kidding).
So for now, I think I shall end my list. I have quite a bit to think about and accomplish in this next year. I look forward to those things I know I need to do and all the little squirrels that pop up along the way. So here's to all of my amazing quilty friends and to making new quilty friends. I love you all and look forward to a great year will all of you!
Have you thought about your 2017 goals? It's never too late. Give it some thought, write them down and join us all over at Yvonne at Quilting Jetgirl for her 2017 Planning Party! It's a great way to send off 2016 with good friends. I'll bring the wine ;)